If you know Michèle, you know she loves pasta. This was a delicious meal she made with end of season Sungold tomatoes. If you live in California, they are still around, but this can be made with cherry tomatoes as well. It's very simple, but oh so satisfying. Al dente is the key here, so keep an eye on your pasta! Michèle paired this with our Old Vine Carignan - served slightly chilled and a side of spicy arugula salad. We love this meal for early fall when you can still eat outside, but want to feel some of that autumnal spirit. Enjoy!
Golden Tomato Pasta RecipeServes 4 as a first course or 2 as a main dish
1 lb of linguine
1 pint of Sungold tomatoes or sweet cherry tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 Tbsp of Tutto Calabri hot pepper spread or a pinch of red pepper flakes
6 basil leaves
Salt + pepper
- Boil a large pot of heavily salted water - like the sea!
- In a large saucepan heat up a generous glug of olive oil and the sliced garlic over medium. Sautee for a few minutes for the garlic to become fragrant, but not brown.
- Add the tomatoes whole and let them simmer, break down and turn into sauce. Be sure to add more olive oil if you need it and a nice pinch of salt. Key for making this glossy!
- Taste for seasoning and add the hot chili paste or flakes. Optional, but the kick really took it up a notch.
- Add linguine to the boiling water and cook for a couple minutes less than the instructions on the box. Taste often to check for doneness. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- When pasta is al dente, transfer it to the pan with the tomato sauce. If needed, add some of the pasta water to help loosen up the sauce. Let the pasta and sauce cook together for a minute or two.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, top with freshly cracked pepper, freshly grated parm and a few whole basil leaves.
- Enjoy with a chilled bottle of Lorenza Carignan!